Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Music

Like I've said before, music is a funny thing. I've listened to it even more lately. Really listened. Music that I would never think to listen to, music that I would have shrugged off as being "stupid" or "not my style" I've listened to it. And there is one thing I've found. The words and the notes are someone's art. When we listen to songs, we are listening to someone's very essence. There is a reason they wrote it. So what if I think it sounds cliche or over-produced or too simple? Brand New, Nickelback, Kelly Clarkson, Blink-182, Nelly, all of those people have the same beautiful connection. Music is the pouring of your emotions into a burst of dramatic highs and heart pounding lows. Sure we all do it differently, but music is mankind's greatest gift to itself and the one emotional outlet we all share. It is gorgeous and heart-wrenching and it speaks to us on levels we didn't even know we had. I don't care for the band Shinedown at all, but I heard a song of theirs and I stopped, literally stopped what I was doing and listened to it. For a moment that song spoke to me in just the right way. I was happy they wrote it. I was overjoyed but sad that the person who wrote it went through what they went through. And God damn, that is an amazing feeling. I don't know their motives for when they wrote the song, could be for women, could be for money. But for me, they wrote that song to help anyone who'd listen.

Music is something we judge, enjoy, criticize and love everyday. But we all (including myself) take it for granted sometimes. The world would be a horribly quiet place without music. The world needs it. I'm going to love every note when I hear one. I'm going to think of every word they wrote and why they felt the way they felt when they did. Such is the beauty of music.

No comments: